This is one of the best waterfall hikes in Southern California. The trail is easy up to the lower waterfall and then gets difficult up to the upper waterfall. The trip to the upper falls requires some rock scrambling. If you know your limits, the payoff is quite high.
Reaching the upper tier is like entering a hidden valley. You can easily spent an hour just horsing around and taking pictures of your accomplishment.
There’s a small parking area just off the PCH but parking is also available on the PCH itself as long as you keep an eye on the sporadic “No Parking” signs.
Escondido Falls ranks as one of the most unusual waterfalls you will come across in Southern California. Don’t take my word for it. See it for yourself!
- Highlights: Spectacular 150 ft waterfall, lush creek side landscape, pleasant oaks
- Near: Malibu, CA
- Distance: 4 miles
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 450 ft
- Hike Time: 2.5 hours
- Difficulty: 5/10
- Trail Condition: well maintained trail/steep traverse to the upper falls
- Best Time: Spring after heavy rainfall
- Parking: Ample parking on PCH if lot is full
- GPX File Download: >>CLICK HERE<<
- Dog Friendly: No
- Kid Friendly: No
Getting to Trail head:
From Los Angeles: 10 fwy (west) to Pacific Coast Hwy (north) to East Winding Way to parking lot.