This is one of the most popular hikes in L.A. The trail takes you to the top of Echo Mountain where the ruins of the Mount Lowe Railway are located. Try out your lungs on the Echo Phone and see why the mountain got its name. Once on the top, you can take in the impressive view of the L.A. area that includes the Santa Monica Bay, Catalina Island, Downtown L.A. and more. The view would be even more impressive as a sunset hike (make sure you are properly equipped). There is no shade along the trail, so a summer hike would be tough.
- Highlights: Sweeping view of L.A. area, historical landmark
- Near: Altadena, CA
- Distance: 5.5 miles round trip
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 1500 ft.
- Hike Time: 4 hours
- Difficulty: 5/10
- Trail Condition: well maintained trail
- Dog Friendly: Yes
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- GPX File Download: >>CLICK HERE<<
Getting to the Trailhead:
From Los Angeles: 210 fwy (east) to Lake Av. (north) to end of road to trail head.