- Highlights: Joshua Trees, Pinyon Pines, Spectacular Mountain and Desert Views
- Near: Joshua Tree, CA
- Distance: 4.5 miles
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 950 ft
- Hike Time: 2.5 hours
- Difficulty: 5/10
- Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
- Trail head map: Click here for Google map
- Trails of Black Rock Canyon Map
- Detailed Map: Click here for Trimble map
- Rating: 3.5/5
If you are camping at the Black Rock campground or just want a nice view, try this hike. Along the way you will see some interesting plants that are synonymous with Joshua Tree National Park. Located within the northwestern-most portion of the park, temperatures are much cooler than in the parts further south. Once you reach your destination, the views of the San Jacinto Mountains and surrounding desert terrain are quite spectacular. The trail, which begins adjacent to campsite #30 in the Black Rock Canyon Campground is well-signed.
From Los Angeles – the 10 Freeway (E) to 62 Hwy (E) to Joshua Ln. (R) to San Marino Dr. (R) to Black Rock Canyon Rd. (Straight) to Black Rock Campgound to site #30 to trailhead. Park in front of ranger station.