- Highlights: Historic Lost Horse Mine, great views, desert scenery
- Near: Joshua Tree, CA
- Distance: 6.5 miles
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 750 ft
- Hike Time: 3 hours
- Difficulty: 4/10
- Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
- Trail head map: Click here for Google map
- Detailed Map: Click here for Trimble map
- Rating: 3/5
On this easy introductory hike to Joshua Tree National Park you will get some good mountain views and follow an historic wagon road that leads to the most prosperous of Joshua Tree gold mines. Here you will see the remains of a mine that produced 10,000 ounces of gold and 16,000 ounces of silver (worth approximately $5 million today) between 1894 and 1931.
From Los Angeles – 10 Freeway (east) to 62 Hwy (east) to Park Bl. (right) to Quail Springs Rd. (straight) to National Park Dr. (straight) to Loop Rd. (straight) to Salton View Rd. (R) to trailhead.