A great view hike in the lower San Gabriel mountains to incredible vistas, forested mountain canyons, historical landmarks and more. The trail crosses a flood control area and begins zigzagging its way up the southwest base of Echo Mountain. This section of the trail is very heavily-traveled, but is in excellent shape. Once you reach the top of Echo Mountain, you can divert your journey a quarter mile and enjoy the history and view or continue on up the Castle Canyon trail. There are several choices for split-off trails.
Make sure you choose the Castle Canyon trail and not the Sam Merrill trail.
The Sam Merrill trail would make the journey a nice lollipop loop, but the trail has been overrun with mountain bikers heading down hill at break-neck speeds. Once at the top of Inspiration Point (aka. Muir Peak), you will be treated to one of the best views around of the Los Angeles basin.
- Highlights: Sweeping views of Los Angeles basin, historical landmarks
- Near: Altadena, CA
- Distance: 9.5 miles round trip
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 2700 ft
- Hike Time: 5 hours
- Difficulty: 7/10
- Trail Condition: well maintained trail
- Parking – easy parking with few restrictions
- Best Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
- Dog Friendly: Yes
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- GPX Download File: >>CLICK HERE<<
Getting to the Trail head:
From Los Angeles – 110 fwy (north) to California Av. (right) to Lake Av. (left) to end of road (trail head).
Trail Detail Map